Saturday, July 16, 2016

Bastille Day 1789 and 2016

I subscribe to several e-mail Newsletters one of which keeps me informed about different celebrations and days that have been designated as "National Days"; for instance National Ice Cream Day, National Pancake Day etc.  In the list of Celebrations I noticed that July 14th is Bastille Day;  curious to know more I searched the internet for information. I already knew that Bastille Day was similar to our 4th of July and I had the phrase "Storming of the Bastille"-- Built in 1370's, the Bastille was a fortified fortress that often housed political prisoners or those who had angered  Royalty.  According to Wickipedia the reasons for the French .Revolution are "complex" and still debated by historians but storming of the Bastille signaled the start of the French Revolution . Bastille Day is generally recognized as the end of the monarchy and the beginning of the modern republic.While searching the internet for information I found a list of cities around the word that also celebrate Bastille Day, of those listed these stood out to me: Paris, New York, London, Orlando, Boston  and Liege, Belgium--while I know there is no connection between these cities celebrating Bastille Day and the recent terror attacks, it is a startling fact.

Bastille Day is a French National holiday ,usually a day of good summer weather when families gather outdoors for picnics and viewing fireworks. So sad that this day was probably chosen by a terrorist or very sick person to kill as many people as he could; 84 people, 10 of them children and leaving over 100 injured, 53 critically--"so sad" are inadequate words to describe this day, but I am at a loss--

1 comment: