Sunday, March 5, 2017

WHIRLWIND




For weeks now I have been "glued" to TV, watching endless hours of Cable News Network channels coverage of mostly the current political situation. I don't seem to be able to tear myself away from watching and I am foregoing some of my usually watched programs (though if I remember I do record them for watching later but later I am still watching cable news!). I haven't read much, have neglected housework and chores, barely took the time to cook or plan meals.  My emotions run the gamut from fear, anger, frustration and depression. By constant viewing am I blowing events out of proportion? Are they becoming magnified in my mind and thoughts? Wouldn't it be better to think of more pleasant things? The answer to that is YES! But so far my thoughts keep swirling around and around.

After several weeks of almost 24/7 watching I told myself that it was time to turn it off.  It is hard to do though as each new morning brought a new bomb or land mine thrown out in 140 characters or less!  I never know what will be happening next. This morning brought news that the current administration is stating that the former administration wire tapped phones at The Golden Tower. It is hard to describe the sinking feeling this newest accusation gave me. Is this a deflection? Taking attention away from some new action to follow?  Changing the subject to cover up something else? I just can't accept the idea that there is any truth to it. The description "side show" came to mind:  "a diversion or spectacle that is incidental to a larger set of circumstances  or a bigger issue of concern". Is the famous line from Shakespeare's Macbeth more apt: "...it is a tale told by and idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."? 

Tomorrow I vow to stop all the whirlwind of thoughts and hours spent in front of the television and try to focus on ways to enjoy time with my friends and family, reading good books, food to enjoy, to write about fun times and events. I am going to write about "little things" that make me happy.



"In the age of technology there is constant access to vast amounts of information. The basket overflows; people get overwhelmed; the eye of the storm is not so much what goes on in the world, it is the confusion of how to think, feel, digest and react to what goes on"--Chris Jami

2 comments:

  1. You and plenty of others are going through the same sensations. It gets to the point when we don't know what is true and what isn't. I do not watch any of the news because if I do I will get depressed. As I've said before, I would make a great ostrich with my head buried in the sand!

    ReplyDelete