Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Life's Not Fair--Live and Learn

Every now and then it is brought home to you how "life's not fair". Recently my car was hit in a parking lot by people backing out of a parking space. I was driving by and they started to back up but it was not possible for me to honk the horn or swerve out of the way. At the time they led me to believe that if I got two estimates they would pay the damages. Their car did not really appear to have damage but mine had a dent in the passenger side front fender, not to mention I could not open the passenger side door more than 9 inches. After finally finding two companies that could give me an estimate I called them and told them I had the estimates, they asked me to e-mail it to them, but he did ask how much it would be, when I gave him the figure he said "that seems like an awful lot to pay for that little dent"--it wasn't exactly little and that was sort of my first clue that this was not going to end all that well! Without boring you all with details I'll simply say, they still refuse to give me insurance information and they claim that I was partially at fault and they will not pay my $500 deductible. They claim that they told me that they were going to get estimates for their damage, which is complete "nonsense" because they never said that at the time and there did not appear to be any damage. Now they say that their "back up sensors" were damaged--perhaps but if the sensors were working prior to the collison why didn't they see me coming???? According to my insurance company there is nothing I can do and since they won't give me their insurance information, they can't do anything. They will pay the claim with no increase in rates, but I will have to pay $500. What did I learn? I learned that even though the accident happened on private property, get insurance information and file a police report right away.  Another thing I learned inadvertently is that just because people are church members doesn't make them what I consider a Christian. I can only hope that what goes around comes around (I guess that's not too Christian either??!) It doesn't seem right, but apparently there is nothing that can be done--it takes me at least 5 months to save $500, so paying this deductible for an accident that I did not cause will  seriously deplete my savings account.

No comments:

Post a Comment