Monday, May 11, 2015

Rain, Rain, Go Away


                                                            ANOTHER RAINY DAY     

Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby. ~Langston Hughes
   




Coming from a state with an average rainfall of about 23 inches of rain and a county that gets 10 and living now in a state that receives and average of 14-15 inches of rain; the past week has been very unusual--there seems to have been rain every day and the last two days it rained pretty much all day--a search on the Internet states that the last few days we have had 6 inches of rainfall--If I had to guess I would have put it higher, but it does matter where the rainfall is measured and it can vary wildly from place to place here  I always thought I would love to live somewhere that received frequent rainfall and I never really minded a cloudy, rainy day--a perfect time to slow down, sit down and read a book and maybe munch on a big bowl of hot buttery popcorn, watch movie after movie, bake cookies (and of course eat most of them)  After a week of grey skies and pretty steady rainfall, I think that maybe there can be too much of a good thing! Or too much of a good thing all at once  I found myself almost singing "Rain, Rain, Go Away, Come Again Some Other Day"--I guess I should have remembered that you should "Be Careful What You Wish For" because the next day we woke up to:


Instead of complaining about the current weather I think I should heed the words below, because there is absolutely nothing I can do about it:


We often hear of bad weather, but in reality, no weather is bad. It is all delightful, though in different ways. Some weather may be bad for farmers or crops, but for man all kinds are good. Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating. As Ruskin says, "There is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather." ~John Lubbock, "Recreation," The Use of Life, 1894


1 comment:

  1. I finally found your blog after searching for about 45 minutes. I don't know why it is so difficult to find it and it may be that I forget where I find it and each time I have to begin the search all over again. I agree with you about the rain....I thought it would never end last week.

    ReplyDelete