Sunday, May 1, 2016

Save and Organize or Let Them Pile Up?



A friend commented on my Saving Old Magazines blog, saying that she once read that instead of saving the entire magazine a person should just tear out the article they wanted to read or save and get rid of the rest of the magazine. I read this same advice somewhere also, but I know if I followed that advice I would end up with this situation:

I once found an online blog called www.makelifelovely.com that detailed a beautiful way to organize and save magazine articles and while the idea intrigued me (articles were placed in plastic sleeves, categorized according to subject matter and placed in a binder, somewhat like a scrap book); there were tabs to indicate the subjects for easy reference. All  in all it was a lovely way to save information and not the whole magazine. My idea for magazines however is different, when I first receive an issue I glance through it, sometimes reading short articles or letters addressed to the editor and make a mental note (which I probably forget in a few hours time!) of items of note that I want to go back to; when I finally do return to the magazine (and the fact that I have some issues dating back to 1984 tells you that along time will probably pass before that happens) I will undoubtedly have read it almost in its entirety. My philosophy is not to discard the magazine in the trash or recycle bin but to pass it on, usually to the library (where they sell donated magazines and books in a fundraising effort) or a thrift store. I believe someone would rather buy a "whole" magazine, rather than one with an article or articles cut out of it (because usually the one missing is the very one you want to read!). So I will continue to slowly make my way through my pile of magazines, finding and reading interesting articles and letters! But thanks for the suggestion!



No comments:

Post a Comment