Monday, June 13, 2016

CAN LOVE CONQUER ALL?


                                                               GOOD AND EVIL

                         


Today I awoke to a television news broadcast. I could tell by the urgent sound that the news was not good and my immediate thought was that there some kind of horrific event had taken place. When I turned on the television, I learned of another mass shooting that had taken place in Orlando, Florida--there were 50 deaths and 53 people wounded, many of them critically. Almost immediately there was a connection to terrorism, with ties to ISIS. Over and over again I heard law enforcement, public officials and the President state that Evil would not triumph over Good and that we must "continue to love one another" even in the face of hate and violence. I was moved by the number of times that this sentiment was expressed by a diversity of individuals.

On the afternoon of the deadliest mass shooting in the United States my daughter, granddaughter and I were to attend a performance of Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs presented by The Arvada Center Dance Theatre Company, Ballet Division. One of the performers was a former student of my daughter and that was the reason for our attendance. The dancers ranged in age from quite young to seniors graduating from high school--At the end of the performance, the graduating seniors were introduced and asked to relay their future plans--almost all were going on to college with 3 planning to pursue nursing degrees. For some reason I found myself a little tearful after hearing their words. What brought on these feelings and what is the connection between the two events of my day? I am not quite sure, but while checking the Arvada Center Dance website for information about the event I found this description of Snow White: 

            "This classic tale is about good prevailing over evil and love conquering all"

No comments:

Post a Comment