Friday, July 14, 2017

Channeling My Inner Van Gogh

                                                          COLORING PARTY


The Road Menders by Vincent Van Gogh


A few weeks ago some friends and I met at the house of one friend for a coloring party. Books containing pictures of all kinds have become popular and the number of books on various subjects can be overwhelming. There are books of flowers, sea creatures, gardens, books of pictures by famous painters and on and on. Whatever your interest you can probably find a book with pages to color. There are fancy colored pencils and markers that you can buy to color your pages with. The idea is that it is relaxing and stress reducing to spend time coloring in these pages. Although some are so intricate that I wonder how relaxing that can be!

There were 4 of us attending the party and we each had a different book. One friend did not have a book, so I brought along several that I had for her to chose something to color. We spent several hours coloring and then had dinner. Each person brought something to contribute to the "feast" so there was as much variety of foods as there was of pictures. Two party members finished their pictures and two of us only made progress. But it was relaxing and fun with lots of conversation flowing during the coloring and eating.

I chose a book of Vincent Van Gogh paintings and picked a picture of The Road Menders to color. I tried to stick pretty much to the colors that Van Gogh used (as much as my colored pencils would allow) in his painting. I think it would probably be fun also to chose a picture of something that allowed for wild and fanciful colors. We all had to admit that it was fun and relaxing to spend a few hours chatting while we colored away. I have to admit though that I have not picked up the pencils and pages again and don't really know why.















No comments:

Post a Comment