Sunday, July 23, 2017

Seeds



Empty Garden...

In the last few years we have planted vegetables in a raised garden bed in the backyard. This year we were not motivated to do more than plant a couple of tomatoes. The idea of watering and weeding during the hot summer days just seemed like too much; but a few days ago while I was watering a couple of pots of herbs I looked at the bed just sitting there with nothing in it and decided that I would plant something. We had packets and packets of string beans of all sorts: green beans, wax beans and heirloom bean seeds in colors of green, yellow and purple (these disappointingly turn green when cooked) bought over the last couple of years, so into the ground they went! I like the idea of planting seeds because all they seem to need is warm soil and water to come to life. I pictured the seeds nestled in the warm and nourishing soil (how nourishing ours is I am not sure as it is not dark and loamy) drinking up the water I give them, turning into sprouts that would emerge in 10 days time (so the seed packet said). Summer was in full swing, the days are hot and with frequent watering the soil will act as an incubator so that the seeds will sprout very quickly. It was with a sense of anticipation that I go out each day to scour the soil for the first sign of a green sprout; at first folded over as it emerges from it's warm bed, finally breaking  through the soil to become a stem with two leaves unfolding at the top. It gives me a miraculous feeling when I think about seeds holding "a spark of life" in them even if they have been sitting in a seed packet for several years. The feeling is to me spiritual and wondrous.

Now we have a whole raised bed of almost nothing but small bean plants soaking up the sun and water, growing quickly. The packets state that the time from planting to harvesting is an average of 55 days. Since I planted somewhat late that will probably mean we should have beans by the end of August or second week of September. In the meantime I will watch them and marvel over the process that has produced those little green miracles. Now to find 101 ways to fix string beans!

                                             The Miracle of Seeds

"I've always been fascinated by seeds. The fact that plants can create little dormant pieces of themselves to broadcast out into the world to germinate is quite marvelous. Even more amazing, is how long some seeds can survive before given the chance to sprout. There have been discoveries of bean seeds uncovered in archaeological digs that are over a thousand years old, and they are still viable and able to germinate! While not all seeds have that ability to hold a spark of life for so many centuries, it's not uncommon for seeds that have been stored in a dry, cool place to maintain their viability for a decade." David Salman posted 01/10/14 in High Country Gardens



1 comment:

  1. So you do have a green thumb! I know what you mean about seeds and I think babies and seeds are pure miracles!

    ReplyDelete