Friday, January 23, 2015

Giving up Baking

I used to be a pretty good baker, but for some reason I have lost the skill! I don't know if it is a "high altitude" problem or if I have just lost my touch. I tried this afternoon to make some Whoopie Pies for Baby Bird's Birthday--her request. My first batch were the traditional chocolate ones and several things went wrong; I made them too large, baked them a little too long and some fell apart while I was taking them off the cookie sheet; going from bad to worse I used Marshmallow Fluff as a filling in the two halves of the pie. It was very sticky and hard to spread, but after filling the pies and putting them on a plate the filling seemed to start really oozing out between the halves! Lemon is another favorite flavor of Baby Birds, so I thought I would do a second batch with lemon zest and juice in the cookie, hoping that that batch would turn out better. WRONG! Same problems--and now I am ready to throw in the towel and give up trying to bake. The pies are just one in a growing long line of failures. Well, I don't need the sugar anyway.
         This what they should look like.

I didn't bother to take a picture of the ones that I made, they were just too pathetic looking.

2 comments: