Sunday, April 26, 2015

On Writing


                                                            ON WRITING
                                                                             
                                                                                 



Yesterday I went with a friend to a book signing by a local author of his newest collection of stories--this is the 3rd book singing I have attended and most them are organized in pretty much the same manner, with the author talking first about himself or herself and about the newest book, then the author will usually read a passage from the book and lastly usually take questions from those attending; it is always interesting to hear an author read his or her own work and to hear about the process he/she goes through when writing  When I was younger I often thought I would like to be a writer--why? Did I think that I had something to say, that it was a glamours life with a large income, prestige and fame? I really don't know but one thing I do think now that it is not all that it seems to be; writing is a lot of hard work, rejections, frustration and probably joy and satisfaction--There are hundreds of quotes (google it) from authors about why they write, how they write and how writing influences their lives  I love to read and I am so grateful there are so many different authors, but I am pretty sure I could never be one of them! (one author suggested that using an exclamation point is like laughing at your own joke)

 Writing  isn’t about making money, getting famous, getting dates, getting laid, or making friends. In the end, it’s about enriching the lives of those who will read your work, and enriching your own life, as well. It’s about getting up, getting well, and getting over. Getting happy, okay? Getting happy.... Writing is magic, as much the water of life as any other creative art. The water is free. So drink.
      Drink and be filled up. ~Stephen King, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, 2000

To me, the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it's about, but the music the words make.
 Truman Capote


“I just knew there were stories I wanted to tell.” – Octavia E. Butler





                                       



1 comment:

  1. When you love to write, nothing stops you. You write. I have been asked why I don't write a novel but I know I am not disciplined enough and maybe not good enough. I have published a couple of articles, won some second place awards but never a first, and had a by-line for the Denver Catholic Register for a few years. Blogging has satisfied by itch to write and that is good enough for me! My advice to you is to write when the urge hits you because it is quite satisfying to a wannabee writer!.

    ReplyDelete